You Can Make It Through Your Divorce
The divorce process can be time-consuming and confusing, even if it is a mutual decision between you and your spouse. Navigating the uncertainties of the emotional side of your divorce and state laws can be overwhelming without the help of an experienced family law attorney.
Nebraska is a “no-fault” divorce state, meaning that you do not need to prove your spouse did anything wrong to end your marriage. Most people simply use the phrase “irreconcilable differences,” to state that there is no chance their marriage will be repaired. The many steps involved in a divorce can be made easier if you work with a trusted family law attorney. Wesley S. Dodge Attorney at Law has provided comprehensive legal counsel to individuals and families in Douglas and Sarpy County and other Nebraska counties surrounding the Omaha Metropolitan area for over 30 years. If you are considering filing divorce, call 402-333-1604 to discuss your legal options and protect your rights throughout the divorce process.
What You Need To Know About Divorce
As your lawyer, Mr. Dodge will be available to help you minimize the time your divorce takes. He will help you understand the full impact of your decisions and find the solutions that protect your best interests and your family’s needs. Keys to understanding divorce in Nebraska include:
- At least one spouse must be a resident of Nebraska for one year prior to filing for divorce.
- You must file for divorce in the district court of the county where you and/or your partner reside.
- The judge will enter a decree of divorce no earlier than 60 days after the second spouse has been served with a copy of the complaint.
- Under Nebraska state law, division of marital property is equitably between both spouses, though it is important to keep in mind that the distribution will not necessarily be equal.
- The family court judge determines alimony based on several factors, including length of your marriage and financial need.
Despite how it may feel, your divorce will not go on forever. Attorney Dodge takes the time to ensure you have the tools you need to efficiently resolve your divorce conflicts. In addition to the full scope of mediation and litigation, he also provides legal options, including limited representation.
Begin Your Path To A Brighter Future
Mr. Dodge will help you get through divorce proceedings as efficiently as possible. His comprehensive experience and knowledge of family law, including child custody, child support, alimony and any later modifications, can ease the stress you are feeling. Send Wesley S. Dodge Attorney at Law an email or call 402-333-1604 to schedule an appointment.